The Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk
JOIN one of our 5-Day Camino Walks from Penrith to Blackheath. The Blue Mountains Camino Supporters [BMCS] is a social group which shares the wonderful spirit of the Camino through various events including its Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk through the Blue Mountains.
The inaugural 5-Day Camino Walk was September 2017 and has gained popularity with each year. Since 2020 there has been two Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walks offered; a Autumn walk in March and a Springtime walk in September. Due to popular demand, in 2022 we shall be offering the choice of four (4) dates for the Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk.
The Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk is a wonderful opportunity to experience the Camino spirit right here in Australia. Walk starts from Penrith (25m about sea level) to Blackheath (1065m above sea level), the distance is 68-81kms depending on the route taken. If you have walked a Camino and wish to rekindle the pleasures - and pain - of long distance walking with like-minded pilgrims, this walk is for you! If you have never walked a Camino, but aspire to one day, this walk is the perfect opportunity to learn from others and experience a little of the Camino spirit right here in the Blue Mountains.
We ask that you join the Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk in the spirit of the Camino; this is not a guided walk, it is an opportunity to walk with like minded people. You will be provided with detailed maps and an information guide. You can decide to walk alone or in a group.
Covid-19 safe events. We ask participants to be fully vaccinated to join our Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walks.
In 2022 we will be offering the popular Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk over multiple dates throughout the year. The walks are from Tuesday to Saturday and registered pilgrims are invited to attend a welcome dinner/orientation on the Monday night. The group size will be limited to 50 pilgrims for each walk. Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk routes are subject to change due to unforeseen weather events and COVID-19 restrictions.
The 2022 dates are:
* March 22-26
* May 3-7
* September 6-10
* October 25-29
Participant numbers are limited. To allow as many pilgrims as possible to join one of the 5-Day Walks in 2022, initially only one walk can be booked. If space allows a pilgrim may be able to join additional walks. You can register your interest for the other 5-Day Walks in 2022 on the "Waitlist".
How hard is the walk/route?
The Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk starts in Penrith at the base of the Blue Mountains, each day the walk starts and finishes at train stations, Pilgrims can easily catch a train to and from the start and finish of each day.
The walk visits many of the Mountains villages along the way, you will walk on bush tracks, fire trails, secondary roads and in some cases footpaths along the highway. There are steps and some steep sections. There are opportunities each day to visit scenic locations and to divert from the Direct Route. You will walk an average of 13-18km each day with the first day being the longest day at 23km. The distance you walk each day is up to you, you can choose to start and finish the days walk where you like.
Although the distances don't appear long, each day will take approx 6-8 hrs, including breaks, due to the elevation gain and variable bush tracks.
Remember: all walkers are responsible for their own personal safety and well being.
How much does it cost?
The cost of the 2022 Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk is $75 per person.
This fee includes both Printed and Digital maps, an online Info Portal, Pilgrim Events, Insurance, Mementos, Credentials and Stamps. For the March 2022 dates, there will be a Pilgrim Event on Day 3 at the Blue Labyrinth in Woodford and various events during the week at Glenella. These events are for all pilgrims who have registered for the 5-Day, regardless of where they are staying.
How to Register?
Participant numbers are limited. To allow as many pilgrims as possible to join one of the 5-Day Walks in 2022, initially only one walk can be booked. If space allows a pilgrim may be able to join additional walks. You can register your interest for the other 5-Day Walks in 2022 on the "Waitlist"
Registration is via Trybooking
An information package will be emailed to you once you have successfully registered on Trybooking. Pilgrims can then join the Blue Mountains Camino Supporters WhatsApp Group to stay in touch with others and co-ordinate gatherings and logistics during the 5-Day walk. The printed maps, credential, etc will be presented at the Welcome and Briefing evening event held before starting Day 1 of walk.
For interstate participants over 60yrs, you may wish to apply for a Gold Opal Card. Types of Opal Card
BE COVID SAFE and Walk Safely: All walkers are responsible for their own personal safety and well being when participating in Blue Mountains Camino Supporters Inc activities. Whether walking with a friend or in a group, you must practice appropriate social distancing and good hygiene at all times. Carry hand sanitiser in your day/backpack. It is mandatory to wear a mask when using public transport and going into some shops/cafes/bars and any enclosed public place. Please bring and wear a mask as required.
If you are feeling unwell, please do not participate and if any slight symptioms do get COVID-19 tested, stay at home until you get results. Download the Service NSW app which includes the QR code for checki-in and your Covid-19 digital certificate. Please Protect yourself and others. Latest NSW Health information
Summary of the Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk
THESE EXAMPLES BELOW OF INFORMATION PROVIDED TO REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS:
Pic below: Wall map in the Camino Corner at Glenella shows the routes for the 5-Day Blue Mountains Camino Walk
Previous Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walks
* 23-27 November 2021 - The scheduled September 2021 walk was postponed untill November due to Covid-19 restrictions. After NSW emerged from 4 months of lockdown, it was a very excited group of 30 pilgrims gathered and ready to start their Blue Mountains Camino despite the very wet conditions. It was a great test of wet weather gear! The concept of extending the 5-Day walk was introduced with one hardy pilgrim starting from downtown Sydney 5 days prior whilst 8 other pilgrims started from Parramatta 3 days prior. Many of the pilgrims did Day 6 from Blackheath to Mt Victoria. Pilgrims joined us from Sydney and surrounds, Queanbeyan, Brisbane and the Blue Mountains. This was a Covid-19 safe event with all walkers being fully vaccinated to participate.
* 23-27 March 2021 - Due to extreme weather event across NSW, the March walk was reduced to a 4-Day Walk with Day 1 Penrith to Springwood cancelled. On two days the route had to be changed slightly due to possibility of unsafe walking conditions and swollen creeks. The wet weather didn't dampen the spirits of the walkers with many enjoying a 'rest' day on what would have been Day 1 walking. There were 40 walkers registered for the March 5-Day walk and despite some last minute cancellations, there were 35 excited pilgrims participating in the Autumn walk. Pilgrims came from Brisbane, several from the Central Coast and the South Coast regions, three from Canberra including a couple on their 3rd attempt to join us (border closures), from many areas of Sydney and of course the Blue Mountains.
The weather in the Blue Mountains almost on cue subsequently cleared and by Wednesday morning provided sunny days, perfect for walking. Some walkers chose to walk from Blackheath to Mt Victoria, to make it 'their' 5-Day Walk. The March walk we introduced the use of Avenza app and QR code to access maps offline. The Camino provides...... it was wonderful how pilgrims so willingly pitched in to help with the 'small' drainage issues on the first day/night at Glenella to helping fellow pilgrims along the way and being flexible with Plan B route/s. Another wonderful Blue Mountains Camino 5 (4)-Day Walk enjoyed by all the pilgrims. Buen Camino.
* 27-31 October 2020 - Penrith to Blackheath, 68-81kms depending on route walked. Thirteen walkers including some members from the Central Coast Camino Group, Jindabyne, Sydney and the Blue Mountains started on Day 1 from Penrith to walk all 5 days. With each day passing the group were joined by more walkers including several from the September 5-Day Walk increasing to 25 on Day 4. The October walkers experienced all seasons over the 5 days with snow drifts on Day 5 to the excitment of everybody! Again, 20 pilgrims were hosted at 'Albergue' Glenella which provided much Camino spirit and camaraderie just like on the Camino in Spain or Portugal. Evening events included special guest John Brierley, author of the 'A Pilgrim's guide to the Camino de Santiago', Zoomed in to chat to the pilgrims staying at Glenella and other walkers at home.
* 22-26 September 2020 - Penrith to Blackheath 68-81kms depending on route walked. Fifty registered to walk including 4 from interstate but due to COVID-19 restrictions they could not join us. Forty six pilgrims walk all or part of the 5 days, divided into 4 groups doing 2 different routes with a walk co-ordinator per group/day. Pilgrims came from across NSW including Newcastle, Alstonville in the Northern Rivers, Mudgee, Wollongong, Queanbeyan, numerous suburbs of Sydney and the Blue Mountains. Twenty pilgrims were hosted at 'Albergue' Glenella. Evening events included special guests Susi y Fermin of Casa Susi, Zoomed in from Tradbadelo, Spain to chat to the pilgrims staying at Glenella.
* 24-28 March 2020 - Cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions.
* 22-26 October 2019 - Penrith to Blackheath approx 84kms. Twelve pilgrims commenced on Day 1 with 8 pilgrims completing all 5 days. On Day 5 Katoomba to Blackheath, the numbers swelled to about 30 joining the last day.
* 25-29 September 2018 - Penrith to Blackheath
* 22-29 September 2017 - the inaugural 5-Day walk Penrith to Blackheath. Six pilgrims set off on Day 1 with many others joining in to do lesser days. After arriving at Blackheath, two pilgrims continued onto Mt Victoria.
Pic below: Year 5 - November 2021. Very damp pilgrims at one of the many lookouts, a white-out on this occasion!
Pic below: Year 5 - March 2021 Day 2, some pilgrims in contemplation on the 11 circuit Chartres replica Labyrinth at Blue Labyrinth Bush Retreat, Woodford.
Pic below: Year 4 - October 2020 Day 1 walkers setting off from Penrith "The Gateway to the Blue Mountains"
Pic below: Year 4 - Sept 2020 Day 1 walkers having a break at Blaxland
************************ Pic below: Year 3 - October 2019 Day 1 walkers setting off from Penrith to Springwood.
Pic below: Year 2 - September 2018 Day 1 walkers setting off from Penrith to Springwood
Pic below: Year 1 - September 2017, two walkers extended by an additional day to Day 6 and finishing at Mt Victoria